Friday, March 18, 2011

22 Weeks.

As many of you know, today was our first ultrasound visit. We, also, wanted to know how far along we were, boy or girl, and how many there were in there. After the GYN appt was over with, she asked how far along we thought we could be.

"Oh probably about 3 1/2 to 4 months, maybe."

As soon as she pressed on my stomach, she said, "Oh you're farther along than that."

Really??!!

She asked when my last period was, and when I told her I was on birth control and had no idea really. She said, "You were on birth control? Well all bets are off then if you were on birth control."

She then told us that the ultrasound she currently had was for early-on pregnancies, and since we were farther along then her ultrasound machine wouldn't do us justice and give us the detail we wanted. "But let's just scan through and see what we can see... just for fun."

We saw little baby head, little baby arms, little baby heart (we didn't hear the heartbeat b/c she didn't have the volume up, but it was beating and going to town), little baby stomach, and little baby legs. She tried to measure how long the baby's femur was, so it could give us a better idea how far along we were but the machine wouldn't calculate it so we didn't officially know.

She did say based on the way my stomach felt and based on how long the baby's femur was, she guessed about 22-23 weeks. "Wow.. really?!" we asked.

But she wanted to send us to the hospital to have an official ultrasound done where we can see better detail, find out what we're having, and get an official due date. So I get to take care of that on April 5th, as well as go back to the doctor's office and have my LOVELY diabetic test done. Ick.

She told me I could do what "normal" people do, since obviously I've been doing it and it hasn't bothered me. She said taking birth control all this time hasn't scientifically shown to do harm, but obviously not to take them. Continue my prenatal vitamins. It's okay for me to take Tylenol for a headache or cold and okay for me to take Claritin (thank god b/c the pollen is flipping HORRIBLE down here-- you can see it floating in the air). And I can continue using my Proactiv-- there was question about that since it has benzoyl peroxide in it. OH and most importantly.. there is only 1 in there... which relieved us both. :)

Keep checking back for updates.

No comments: