Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oh my, my, my...

I have to share this recipe with you b/c it is probably one of my favorite cookies ever. Now mind you until tonight the only cookies I had made were either out of the package (a quick fix) or homemade chocolate chip, pecan, and toffee cookies (when I'm feeling creative).

I had discovered this cookie recipe out of my Bon Appetit magazine- one of my absolute favorite food magazines ever (should anyone from Bon Appetit read this blog, see how much I love y'all? Can I please write for you now?? LOL). This recipe calls for no eggs which makes it a really good cookie b/c when you bite into them, its flaky and not doughy... kind of like eating a flaky, buttery pie crust... oh my, my, my...

Ok so here's the recipe from Bon Appetit magazine:

Lime Shortbread Cookies with White Chocolate and Almonds.

2 cups of all purpose flour

1/2 cup of powdered sugar

1/4t salt

1 cup (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 cubes

1t vanilla

2T fresh lime peel (usually 2 limes)

1/2 chopped toasted almonds

1 3.5 ounce bar of white chocolate (I used 3/4 cup of white chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 325. Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the cubed butter, lime peel, and vanilla into the processor and pulse until the dough forms clumps. Press the dough evenly into a buttered 13 x 9 x 2 pan. Pierce the dough with a fork and cut the dough (make sure you go all the way through) into 12 bars and then diagonally to make 24 bars.

Bake the shortbread until golden brown around the edges for 30 minutes (the recipe says 45 minutes but with my oven, it's 30 minutes--- so judge your time-- the rule is: if you can smell them, they're overdone). Remove from the oven. Using a knife, immediately recut shortbread, gently seperating triangles. Put them on a cooling rack.

Place white chocolate into a metal bowl and put over simmering water to melt. After the chocolate is completely melted, take it off the water. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate in a zigzag pattern over the cookies (I put the melted the chocolate and put it into a ziploc baggy, snipped the end and made it into a piping bag- that works too). Sprinkle evenly with the almonds.

You can sprinkle any remaining lime peel over the cookies, but I didn't have enough so I didn't.

I'm telling you once you make these cookies and bite into them, you'll be in cookie heaven. They're not overly sweet and you can taste the lime in the background.

Trust me you won't regret it.

No comments: