Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What I Have Learned in SC.

So we have been in SC for a little over a month now-- and it's amazing the things I have learned so far...

1. People are just as crazy in SC as they are in NC.

2. Alligators really do live in the ponds and marshes and lakes.

3. Squashed armadillos exist too (saw my first one rolled over on the way home today).

4. School zones in the pm are between 3.15 and 4.00- 45mph, and not 1mph over or the cops will get you (no this hasn't happened to me but they are watched very closely)

5. Hurricanes- even off the coast of Africa- can make the waves and rip currents bad (good for surfers, bad for everyone else).

6. Paddleboarding is extreme fun but extremely hard. Your upper legs have to be strong.

7. Surfboards, paddleboards, and those other board things are expensive.

8. Paddleboards are heavy.

9. Jellyfish are plentiful in the month of August ONLY. They start going away in September.

10. Jellyfish stings hurt. Now granted I only got stung by a small one. And some of them can't hurt you. But they still hurt. To get rid of the burning and stinging: spray vinegar on it.

11. You're not allowed to keep live sand dollars. If they're dead, keep as many as you want. Otherwise leave them alone.

12. The most important thing I have learned is that there are ophthalmology offices that treat their techs and pay their techs what they're worth. I have never worked at a place that treats their techs so well. For instance, we shut down Friday pm to have a pool party. Monday was Labor Day. This morning I came and signed off on my time sheet and noticed that not only did I get paid for Labor Day, but I got paid for Friday pm. Plus I got to leave early today to meet the cable guy. When I asked about getting my hours in so I got paid for Labor Day, I got a very strange look and then the response of, "No you get paid regardless." If it were "anywhere else" (and you girls know where I'm talking about), it would have been, "I hate that for ya. You have to get your hours, or you don't get paid for yesterday."

13. Another important thing I have learned, and I'll end on this: I've learned and remembered what it is to be happy... This was a GREAT decision to move down here.

PS... For those of you that question if I'm really down here or not, YES I AM!!! Just because my cell number still says 828 doesn't mean a thing. Josh's best friend has lived in Savannah for the past 4-5 years, and he still has an 828 number. However with Josh's new job, we'll have to switch to 843.

PSS... One more little tidbit, and I'm officially done-- We officially have internet again. Woo!!!

No comments: