Sunday, January 10, 2010

Creamy Tomato Crockpot Italian Chicken


I don't know if I have ever mentioned this before, but I love trying new recipes ESPECIALLY when mushrooms are involved. So in an effort to eat semi-healthy, I searched through Sparkpeople's website and came across an interesting recipe that I had to try. While this recipe came from Spark, I had to add my own flare to it and found some stuff out while trying this recipe that, in the future, will make this recipe mine.

1 package of mushrooms, sliced

1 6 ounce bag of baby spinach

3 chicken breasts

1 8 ounce package of cream cheese (full fat, 1/3 less fat, or no fat is fine), cubed

1/2 red onion, sliced or chopped

1 package of Slow Cooker Chicken Italian Seasoning (I could not find it, so I used a package of Grill Mates Garlic and Basil for chicken)

2 cans of tomatoes

You're going to layer everything in the crockpot- so layer your mushrooms, spinach, chicken, red onion, and cream cheese. In a bowl mix the tomatoes and the seasoning packet together-- now I used 1 complete can of tomatoes and drained the other one, so the sauce itself wouldn't be too thin, but do it however you like. Put the tomato mixture on top of everything in the crock pot.

Cook on low heat for about 6 hours or on high heat for 4 hours. After an hour or so has passed, mix everything together and continue to let it cook. One thing I did find out with this recipe, after cooking the chicken for this long in the crockpot, it turned out dry. So a suggestion would be to broil or fry the chicken, and add it at the last minute to prevent it from drying out.

Serve it over pasta and b/c I'm such a cheese over pasta person, I sprinkled some Parmesan over it. Surprisingly, this was a really good recipe and is definitely one that I'll be trying and eating again.

1 comment:

Tonyne said...

That looks very yummy!